Can you Modify an Alimony Award?

Unless a divorce agreement prohibits the modification of alimony, it is possible, under Connecticut divorce law, for either party to seek an increase or decrease in the amount of alimony. In order to do so, a now former spouse must show that a substantial change in circumstance has occurred since the date of divorce.

In the event a party files a motion to modify alimony when determining the potential new amount, the court will refer to all of the initial factors it examined when it originally determined the appropriate amount. These include for example, how long the parties are married, their ages, their health, occupation, income, and needs. Modifications are not as uncommon as you may think. After a divorce people may lose their job, a spouse may start to earn significantly more than he or she did or, unfortunately there may be a substantial change in a person’s health.